Canine Good Citizen/Therapy Dog Criteria
1. Accepting a friendly stranger – must sit and not go toward the stranger.
2. Sit politely for petting – show no signs of shyness or resentment. No jumping or lunging at stranger.
3. Appearance and grooming – permits groomer e.g. stranger to touch and examine ears, feet, etc.
4. Out for a walk. Walking on a loose leash. The walk has left turn, right turn, about turn, halt.
Handler may talk with dog.
5. Walking through a crowd – There may be another dog in the crowd.
6. Sit and Down on command and stay – distance 20 feet away.
7. Come when called – distance 10 feet away
8. Reaction to another dog – 2 handlers with dogs approach each other from 15 feet. They stop, shake hands, chat, & continue on. Dog waits patiently sitting or standing.
9. Reaction to distractions – sound & visual e.g. drops a pan, folding chair no closer than 5 feet. Visual can be a jogger, bike, etc.
10. Supervised separation – 3 minutes.
Learn more about the Canine Good Citizen Certification at www.akc.org/events/cgc/..